2010年2月19日金曜日

Valentine's Day

I think that Japanese Valentine's Day is very interesting. ほんめいチョコ seems a bit intimidating, since it is giving chocolate as a confession of love. I suppose in America you can give a Valentine as a confession of love, too, but I've never known anyone who did that. ともチョコ is nice, as is ギリチョコ, that way hopefully everyone gets chocolate, not just the ones who get a love confession. Although, with ほんめいチョコ, ともチョコ, and ギリチョコ, there's a lot of chocolate to give! White Day is good, because otherwise I would have to make a major objection to only girls giving chocolates on Valentine's Day, since I love chocolate. I'm not sure how well it works in actual practice though. A lot of guys I know would probably just forget who'd given them chocolate, and not give anything in return.

I suppose the observation that Japanese exchange gifts so many times because of marketing propaganda could have some truth to it. It seems a bit unfair to suggest that that's the entire reason for it, though. I like to think that it's more about friendliness and expressing gratitude, because viewing it solely as the product of pervasive advertising is a bit depressing.

If I were in Japan as a US international student, I would like to participate in Valentine's Day. I would give ともチョコ and ギリチョコ, but I don't think I would give ほんめいチョコ (even if there was someone I wanted to give it to). That would be too intimidating for me.

3 件のコメント:

  1. Yes, it's a fun day in Japan! When I was a school girl, I thought V-Day is a great idea b/c I can confess my love to someone I like. It's just like a love letter. :> On the White Day, guys can also express their feelings towards girls as the differentiate the return gifts...

    返信削除
  2. I think both White Day and Valentine's day would be great occasions in Japan as smaller lighter gifts are exchanged. It seems as you say, that in America it gets a bit intimidating, like an all or nothing sort of love is portrayed through the gifts. I would do my best to remember every girl who gave me chocolate, and do the best to get at least a card or something nice back to them, but I suppose one can forget, and that probably hurts the girl. I would do my best to keep the gifts as equal as possible, unless I truely loved someone, but I would be nervous of the return gift as well.

    返信削除
  3. I think maybe the love of gift giving is being exploited a bit by the marketing propaganda, but it doesn't take away the real meaning of the gifts behind it...

    返信削除